I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Best of the Best from the Trip Around the World

I have been anxiously awaiting this blog post for the last two months. I get asked the same questions a lot. This post will hopefully state the answer to SOME of those questions.

I am asked constantly, where is your favorite place? What is your least favorite place? What was your best experience? Most fearful moments? Who are the nicest people you've met? What country is the most beautiful? Who has the best food? What country has the most beautiful women? Where would you want to live of all the places you've been. And on and on.

Traveling the world is the best. I only disliked a few places, the rest I liked a lot or loved. So what places and experiences are the best of the best though? I ask other travelers these same questions. Coming up with the answers is most difficult but I personally feel with some thought we can answer them.

So here is my attempt after thinking about it for months. I'm going to do a top 5 for the questions as some who are not first or top 3 deserve to be mentioned. I will also have some honorable mentions.

Lastly, these are MY experiences and MY opinion. If i have judged a place wrong, don't freak out, i have not seen every bit of these countries.
And even though I have them ranked, some of these are deadlock ties but I gotta choose one above the other so that makes it tough!

Everyone has there own experience as well so don't base any of YOUR travel ideas based on what I say. Go see where you want to see for yourself!


Let's do this!


WHAT IS MY FAVORITE COUNTRY I HAVE BEEN TO:

1. Kenya

This is actually easy for me. The Kenyan people make it easy. They are the Best! Besides the people we have the culture, the animals, the exotic feeling of Africa and of course, the raw beauty.
One is easy, but two is where it gets extremely difficult.

2. Japan

The cherry blossom season of Japan is amazing! I think I definitely talk about Japan the most of any country. I really do love it. The overall culture is very fascinating to me. The people, the food and the scenery are all incredible.

3. Scotland

I've always wanted to go. My one day there was not even close to enough. But that day was special for me. Can't wait to go back.

4. Vietnam

What a great place! Until Kenya Japan and Vietnam were all I could talk about. I had a tremendous experience here and just love the people with all my heart.

5. Ireland
Ireland blew me away and exceeded expectations like no other place. You gotta go!

Honorable Mention:
Easily Hong Kong. It stings me to leave it out of the top 5. What a great place! Like New York and California in one. I loved my time there and love the city!
Also throw Thailand up there.


LEAST FAVORITE COUNTRIES:

1,2,3,4 and 5. India
Haha just kidding.

1. India

Imagine a place with no order and no manners. A society where everyman is for himself. Imagine a place where you feel you can trust no one because you do not understand them and all they see when they see you is your money. Imagine filth everywhere. Imagine kids constantly fighting. Imagine a place, ya know what I'm done...

2. China

Wow I was excited for Beijing! Loved the Great Wall and Forbidden City, hated Beijing and Xian. I will say I enjoyed Shanghai and loved loved loved Yangshuo. But again, the animalistic society with no manners like India does China in. One on one the Chinese are great. Put them in a group going somewhere, you will want to punch people in the face every 5 minutes. The constant spitting and loudness also is despicable. No order, no system, just a constant bottle neck.

Those are really the only two places that really rubbed me the wrong way. I guess I'll just name a couple more to get to 5.

3. Malaysia

Although I enjoyed Kuala Lumpur I didn't love it and it made me a little nervous. My first experience in a majority Arab country. I do have to say it was nice and I did enjoy my time there.

4. Egypt

I loved the pyramids obviously and really liked some of the people. The danger there for Americans and the beggars/street vendors make it unattractive to me. One guy told us a joke and asked for a tip, unbelievable...

5. Dubai (UAE)

I personally believe Dubai is one of the most overrated places in the world. The Burj Khalifa (tallest building in the world) exceeds expectations and is incredible but Dubai is a very poor man's Las Vegas. I don't see the appeal at all. It's a desert that has nothing on Vegas.


BEST CITY!

This one is way tough. So many great great cities.

1. Edinburgh

Oh man I loved the feel of this city. So much of the old mixed with the new. When everyone inside and outside of your country loves your biggest city, that speaks volumes.

2. Berlin

This one really over achieved. What a fascinating city. More world changing history from the last century by far than any other place! I'm amazed at their ability to rebuild and change.

3. Hong Kong

Hong Kong is just dandy! On one side you have a New York type sky line with a beautiful harbor. On the other the looks of a tropical California with beaches and boardwalks. And a huge mountain in between the two!

4. Tokyo

This place is definitely unique. Lights, advertising, subways and people everywhere. The markets are such a blast too! Could easily be a top 3 city for me.

5a. London

What a great international city!

5b. Vienna

I can honestly say the only place that straight overwhelmed me was Vienna. Just so much art and cool architecture. Statues and beautiful buildings are everywhere.

Could not pick London or Vienna over the other... Seriously.

Honorable Mention:
Saigon was so cool and so much fun, can't believe I left it off my list! Id probably go there before London or Vienna, but those cities are impressive!
Prague is impressive and beautiful. Lastly, Bath and Liverpool England.


MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACES:

Wow this is tough! 3 places definitely stand out from the rest. These 3 literally blew me away. How to rank them!?!?

1. Japan

The Cherry Blossom Season of Japan is as beautiful as it gets in my opinion. Mix in the pagodas, shrines and scenery and Japan is PROBABLY the most beautiful. Cherry Blossom season is magical, might sound corny but it is completely true and I have no shame.

2. Scotland

I will never forget my drive through Scotland. Especially from Stirling to St Andrews. I was literally speechless.

3. Ireland

The bright green rolling hills are tough to beat. The only reason Scotland tops it because Scotland has big beautiful mountains too.

4. Kenya

This was as big of a surprise as I've had. The wet season Kenya is gorgeous. The contrast of Green and Orange was incredible. There are huge mountains and valleys and rolling hills as far as the eye can see. it is so wide open.

5. Yangshuo, China.

The Karst Mountains completely caught me off guard. They are phenomenal! They are on the back of the Chinese 20 Yuan as well :)

Honorable Mention:
I could have put England and Wales in there but I count them with Ireland and Scotland. Also Koh Samui and Vietnam.


MY FAVORITE PEOPLE:
Don't ever underestimate how important this is. To me it is almost everything.

1. The Maasai! Kenyans!

They are on another planet when it comes to kindness and warmth. What's great is they are not TOO friendly like Indians. These people are freaking hilarious too. And they are always laughing.

2. Irish

These people are the most fun to be around and are some of the nicest people on earth. Irish travelers, and people I met in Ireland alike.

3. The UK (Scottish, Welsch and English)

What awesome people! My Welsch receptionist/bar tender offered to drive me to get some food since she was closing. Offers like this come often. The people are so proper and nice.

4. Vietnamese/Thai

These people are so warm and friendly. They are so similar it's crazy. They have an amazing sense of humor as well.

5. Japanese

They are not the most warm people by any stretch of the imagination but they are the most mannerly. Who doesn't love that!

Honorable Mention:
I really wanted to fit German people on here and had a tough choice between 4, 5 and Germans. I love the Germans and could easily put them on this list. even though they may be strict and yell at others a lot I dig em.


BEST FOOD!!

Wow I love eating. I can honestly say I ate American food once. My friend Darcy wanted some in Hong Kong so I obliged.

1. Japanese!

This is easy for me. The rice, the miso soup and of course the fresh fish and sushi! Again, easily my favorite. Destroys the competition.

2. Irish

This came as a surprise to me. I love their stews, soups and sandwiches! The pubs are a great experience as well.

3. Vietnamese

And to think I did not even know what Pho was before Saigon. I love the Pho and the other dishes I had.

4. Hungarian

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the food here. The chicken paprika was one of the best meals of my trip. Plus the crepes and the pastries are always great.

5. Egyptian

The dish I had in Egypt was mouth watering. They had this sesame hummus dip I devoured! Plus the chicken, rice and potatoes were delicious.


THE BEST SITE:

Can you imagine picking from the following list:
The Great Wall of China, Taj Mahal, Petra, Burj Khalifa, Terracotta Warriors, Forbidden City, The Pyramids, Everything in the Old City of Jerusalem, Cliffs of Moher, Buckingham Palace, Over 5 Parliament Buildings, Berlin Wall, The Oriental Pearl, Cu Chi Tunnels, Edinburgh Castle, ...

Here we go!

1. The Garden Tomb / Mount of Olives

Nothing and I mean nothing tops The Garden Tomb and the Mount of Olives for me. Israel easily has the best sites to see.

2. Burj Khalfa

This building is beyond awesome. I sat and stared at it for hours.

3. The Great Wall of China

What an amazing site to behold. So much effort and work to build it.

4. The Pyramids

Do I have to say anything?

5. The Cliffs of Moher.

How sweet is this place? So green and beautiful.

Honorable Mention:
London Parliament Building. Berlin Wall.


BEST TOUR OR MUSEUM (not counting my 8 day tour of Israel):

1. Berlin Bike Tour

Without question the best all around tour excluding my Israel tour. Amazing history, cool city and hilarious tour guide.

2. Cu Chi Tunnels Tour (Vietnam)

How cool is it to learn about American history in another country from their perspective? It's great!

3. Forbidden City Tour

What a crazy place that was! Meaning in the past. Learning about that place was nuts!

4. Mekong Delta Tour (Vietnam)

Cruising down the Mekong watching the markets on water was cool. Then visiting the small villages was life changing to be frank.

5. The Egyptian Museum

I saw legit Mummy's and there coffins!


BIGGEST ADVENTURES:

1. Living in a Maasai Tribe Village with no running water and electricity is about as adventurous as it gets. I can tell you all about it! Too much I could say.

2. African Safari

What an adventure to see Lions, Cheetahs, Giraffes, Zebras, Buffalo, Gazelles and Impala all over! Dream fulfilled!

3. Vietnam. All of it. Shopping in the Ben Than Market, cycling through a remote village, cruising down the Mekong River, rising a scooter with millions... It is all just freaking nuts lol.

4. The Tuna Auction and live fish market in Tokyo. One of the Craziest experiences of my life! Dead fish for sale for blocks and blocks. I got kicked out a number of times. You are only supposed to be there with a tour, I walked through it all with the locals. Dodging forklifts, sneaking around like a spy, feet cold and wet covered in fish blood and melted ice water from fish coolers/boxes. My heart rate was jacked for about an hour straight wondering what I got myself into lol. I remember stopping after i left to say a prayer thanking Heaven I made it out alive. No joking there. I felt like I was lucky to be not in jail and that I didn't get nailed by a fork lift. Recollecting it is tough to say something was more adventurous haha. Cause this was wild!

5. Driving the motorways of Ireland. Oh my goodness is this an adventure. The road is about as wide as two cars so you both barely fit into your lane. Then at some parts the cement goes away and you have a marked trail for cars with grass in the middle. Then it's raining non stop so you nail puddles. At one point a tree was hanging out into the trail and I stepped on it and just nailed it. My friend Heather screamed right before impact lol! Sooooo much fun and such an adventure. Thank goodness we for full coverage for car insurance. Crossing the fence and standing right next to the cliffs of moher was an adventure too. Don't recommend that one.


Honorable Mention: Trying to get around rural China in the middle of the night was too scary and stressful to be adventurous.


There it is folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment