I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Great Wall of China

All of my life I have wanted to visit the Great Wall of China. I absolutely loved it!! The weather was cloudy but it cleared a little bit when I started making the climb. I am so grateful my hostel recommended the Mutianyu wall to visit. 2 hours away and way less crowded. The wall gets really steep here too! I think I got some great pictures so enjoy.

The drive out.


Sheep.


My tour bus driver drove like he was late for his wedding. I had front seat. I couldn't even look at my camera here for a pic cause I couldn't take my eyes off the road.



Scariest moment of my life is we were going 60 and an old man ran out in the road about 100 feet in front of us. The driver honked and was swerving to go around home but right when he honked the old man went from walking his bike across the road to running. He ran right where we were attempting to pass. Breaks locked, everything in the bus flew forward. On the front row I am the only passenger who can see what is happening. I seriously gasped to the point I moaned and gripped the rail with everything I had wanting to stop short of the old man. We stopped 18 inches short of his bike and 2.5 feet short of him. My heart rate was jacked! We are so close to the old man he looks straight up at us and has the weirdest smile or smirk! The driver is laying on the horn the whole time. The old man takes about 20 seconds to get situated and then finally rides his bike out of the way. The driver and the tour guide and I nearly had a heart attack. The first picture above shows how we just could not swerve off the road because it was lined with trees. I immediately wrote my family an email saying I love them and sincerely hope I make it out of china in one piece.


The entrance. Here I was in line with another single person I could tell. I started a conversation and I knew I had a fun partner to check the wall out with. Her name is Holly and she is from Australia. She lives in New York and Sydney. She has traveled literally the whole world and lived all over. If you don't know Australians are amazing people. Their sense of humor is unmatched by anyone!! I had such a great time with her and we discussed many of topics on the great wall. She was a gem to find because she was so interesting and fun. She said I am one of the only Americans who can match her sarcasm and can tease like Australians. All day she called me momma's boy and I teased her about being too boring to pal around with and "only traveling a few places in the world" because that is what she told me at first. But it turned out she had been everywhere and anywhere haha. She made the experience far more rewarding for me!


The great wall!!!











This guy was all over Holls lol.









We actually reached the end of a section of wall. It was closed to public but we walked on it for a while. I'm no momma's boy!





The mountains by the wall


Awesome shot by Holls.



I love her accent right here!

YouTube Video


YouTube Video




Shots of the day right here! This next one is the shot of the day!


Look how steep it got. Some people couldn't make it. There was never a flat spot so I liked that! That building below was barracks for wall guards back in the day. Pretty cool inside.








So cool being here.











And we rode the alpine slide down. They had a different name for it. Holly and I got in trouble cause they were sending people one after the other and so there was no room for getting high speeds. We both kept stopping and bombing small sections. I kept pointing to my ear pretending not to hear and giving the Asian beloved peace sign lol. Holly thought it was hilarious.


There you have it! The great wall is incredible! Go to the Mutianyu section for sure if you ever go! One of the 7 wonders of the world, check!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment