I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hiroshima!!

So first off in Japan it is pronounced not Hero-Sheema as we know it, but rather Her-o-shim-uh.

I wanted to write this soon since the peace park in Hiroshima had such a big impact on me. What an incredible city and people to overcome being atomic bombed. Honestly when I got here it was just another city, now that I'm leaving I want to stay and explore everything. The museum and exhibit was sobering to say the least.

The entire park takes a very big stand and approach to getting rid of nuclear weapons. That is the prevailing theme. "all nuclear weapons must be destroyed so no one has to suffer as we did." I think it is noble and incredible that they call it peace park when they experienced such hell. It was interesting to learn that every time since the a-bomb hit that a country has tested a nuclear weapon the mayor of Hiroshima has written a letter to the head of that country and said they oppose it and invite them to stop and to get rid of all nuclear weapons. The letters are posted in the museum.

Biggest change for me here is realizing that this ruined so many lives. In American history we learn again and again it happened but never hear the story of how bad it affected thousands of people. And it's like we know but we don't really know if that makes sense.

I also felt relief the museum helps you understand Nuclear Weapons are simply fruits of war and it points out the massive suffering Japan inflicted on other Asian countries and it briefly mentions America. Thought they could have emphasized that and Pearl Harbor a little bit more.

What made this trip even more meaningful for me is a month or two ago I read two books that are related to this. Unbroken and In Harms Way. The book Unbroken mentions the atomic bombs saved literally thousands of pow's lives and potentially thousands of other people. Ironic now to me that to save so many lives they had to take so many lives (not saying it was right or wrong, just interesting). In Harms Way is the story of the ship that took the A-Bomb Little Boy that hit Hiroshima from San Francisco to the Pacific. The USS Indianapolis was later sunk by a Japanese torpedo and when hit many many men were horribly burned, some burned to death. Now here I learn most people were vaporized and the survivors were horribly burned. The pictures were tough to take in. Skin literally burned and hanging off the bodies. That same thing happened on the USS Indianapolis. War is an awful thing.

I can say this now, no matter what I ever read or learn I will always feel compassion for these Japanese victims of war. I will always feel compassion for the Hiroshima people because no one should have to suffer like that. If you ever have the opportunity to come to Hiroshima, definitely go and learn about the history behind the A-Bomb from the Japanese perspective. Although I know America had to drop it to end the war it is awful it happened and that is my take away.


Arrival into Hiroshima via the bullet train. These are the coolest.




I really enjoyed seeing these little towns tucked in the mountains.





Hiroshima!


Home of the Hiroshima Carp. That's right... The Carp lol. Sister team of the Cincinnati Reds.


Yes! A new mode of transportation! I've traveled by plane, bus, train, bullet train and now... Cable Car!






Walked down to the port in Hiroshima.





Got food on the port. Right when I sat down they set this stove thing down for about 8 minutes then took it away. Not sure what or why so don't ask.


Dinner and I loved it. Japanese food rocks. A big surprise for me how much I like it and how well it sits with me.


My ryokan! Now a ryokan is a Japanese style Inn where you sleep on the floor on the straw matted floors. So cool!!


Ah yes!


My dream came true. First thing the woman said to me was, "Ahhh, you must be Travis-San." I felt like the coolest person in the world!


Ryokan baby! Check out my digs!








Please refer to my blog post where I fight the lamp chord and dress up in Japanese robes for a good laugh.



Breakfast. Got two different types of the same sandwich to see which I liked better.








The A Dome. One of the only buildings to withstand the blast and remain standing. Symbol of hope for the people.


Pics of the park area.








I won't lie, right after I snapped this picture below I got emotional for a few minutes because it is such a sobering place and I felt this picture captures the emotion that's here.


Can see the dome in the distance and a flame in the back.








This was a huge wall picture. They had a before and after. So crazy the power of that bomb.



Most recent letter of protest from Hiroshima mayor to President Obama.








This broke my heart. A kid was riding this tricycle when the bomb hit. How can you not feel so much compassion for the people this affected.





Cool shot of cherry blossoms and Japanese flag.


Kids paying tribute I think.















Random cemetery right next to the park.


This was the hypocenter. Where the bomb was dropped and detonated. It's not in the actual peace park. On some random business road a few blocks away. This was eerie to be honest.





Detonated right above me, so crazy I'm here. This was a political and business area at the time.



Seriously, this is one of those experiences where there is so much emotion here. Pictures can't describe the sober feelings and pain that is here.

Trying to cheer myself up, headed to the Hiroshima castle which was sweet!











This castle is rad.








You can see here the cherry blossom trees are turning green. 2 weeks are almost over.


Trees that were hit and survived the A bomb. There is no escaping what happened anywhere in the city.








Awesome tree!





So sad to be leaving Hiroshima.





Next time I come I vowed to explore that other side of the tracks in the mountains.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Love following you around the world through your blog. What an exciting adventure.

    ReplyDelete