I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Cu Chi Tunnels and leaving Vietnam

I still can't believe I'm in Viet F'n Nam!!!

Okay! The Cu Chi Tunnels are one of the things I have looked forward to most about my trip around the world. I love American History. This is an opportunity to learn about American history on location in another country. How often do we get to do that? Pretty much never! Although it is horrible history, exciting to learn and gain a better understanding of it and to remember what happened.

I was also thrilled my Canadian friends from the day before were on the same tour.

On the way to Cu Chi we stopped at a shop where disabled people work and make art. Pretty good idea by the government. These guys have some talent.











The end result, awesome stuff.

It will help to understand a few things regarding the background of Cu Chi. Cu Chi was a vicious battleground in the Vietnam war. The location and resource of the river was something America sought for a long long time. The river goes right to Ho Chi Minh City. The people of Cu Chi were not willing to give it up or leave. Vietnam is quite the amazing country because time and time again in history countries have tried to win a war against them in Vietnam, they have never lost.

Earlier in history France had tried to take them over and here in Cu Chi the Vietnamese had built the first tunnel system as a defense. This was already established when America came. They dug 2 more layers underground deeper and connected them all and made it very complex. As I learned and you'll see it was a home field advantage that was nearly impossible to take.

Another important thing is the people of Cu Chi were not part of the North Vietnam army. They were farmers and residents of Cu Chi. Our tour guide said they were tougher than any army because they were literally fighting for their families lives. These soldiers had to work and farm all while they defended themselves, their families and their land. They used Guerrilla Warfare to defend themselves. The methods are vicious but extremely effective. The traps they set just made everyone groan at the thought of walking into one. As I was here I gained a great knowledge of how impossible it seems it was to have overtaken them. Fighting them here must have been horrendous. I gained a lot of respect for how smart these villagers and farmers turned out to be.

Lastly, the people of Vietnam are very different from Americans in how they see the war. They are baffled we make movies and make a huge deal about it still. They are completely over it. They love Americans now. We invest in Vietnam and we come as tourists and support them. Unbelievably they hold no hard feelings whatsoever and moved on fast. Many people have attacked them so same old same old in essence. Also the people are still divided politically and many people left Vietnam for America and other countries right after the war. Many many went to LA. I'm amazed at their light attitude towards such a horrible war. So if I am making light of things, understand this is their perspective and it rubs off fast. I love the people of Vietnam because they hold no bitterness when it could be said they deserve to.





Driving in it was a little eerie and humbling to think this was one of the places where the Vietnam war happened. Right here! Where I am right now! Crazy crazy.


Small small road here.


We all had no idea why there was ice in the urinal. Anyways...


Actual weapons used here.








The tunnels. They were obviously experts in hiding the entrances.








Hun our tour guide demonstrated and then we could climb in. Many people could not because the hole is too small. I fit in very very easily and quickly :)











Everyone had a good laugh because my Canadian friend stood on the hatch and I could not get out.


Tiny eh?


Wow! Amazing they dug this out for miles!





Kept hearing gun shots...



They then showed us these traps the Vietnamese set. They had built these for animals and began using them in the war. That is metal nails they used from American bombs.














Women in Cu Chi also fought the Americans and were as effective as the men.





They had places to fight underground, places to live and places to cook. This is a vent hole for cooking. They only cooked in the morning and at night so the smoke could not be seen. The smoke hole was built and ventilated far from where they actually were living and cooking too. And of course they hid them during the day.





US tank that was destroyed.


All different types of traps. The Vietnamese people are the most resourceful people I have ever encountered. They used bomb casings and shrapnel from the US to make these traps. They made the metal pointed and like a fish hook so if someone hit the trap they were not getting out. Awful to think of walking into one of these. I think I would have been scared to move anywhere.

These first three in this row are holes that cause pointed metal about 12 inches long to go through your leg. And again, once in, very difficult to get out because of how the traps were built.


He demonstrated them all. This last one just kept spinning and spinning. Full of spikes.





This one was the worst in my opinion. If American troops we're close on their tail they would lead them to a door to the tunnels and set this trap. Right when they opened the doors the spikes fall and swing into your body, then the bottom part keeps going into the shin and knee and groin area.





This area showed how they made the spikes from the used bombs.






Sawing a bomb open to get the stuff that goes kaboom.


At this point we had a break where we had the option of shooting some of the guns they used in the Vietnam war.


I elected to shoot the M30! Awesome!






My Canadian buddy shooting I think the M16. It was cool to have friends the whole time today to hang out with and talk to. I really have not been on my own at all in Vietnam.


The guy who sold me my ammo. I wanted to double check and make sure the Vietnamese knew we are cool with them. No hard feelings, right...? Ah man these people are my favorite.


The sandals they wore.


A crater from a bomb.


Lookout and shooting area.





Finally what we all came for, to go through the tunnels! These were tight! I'm skinny and was surprised at how small the tunnels were. Had to bend over and walk. Taller people had to army crawl. Sad to report some on the tour couldn't fit.

They quoted an American officer as saying when we saw the tunnels we could not help but be impressed by the skill, talent and patience of these people. You could not help but be amazed by the tunnel system. I couldn't agree more!


Goin in!





It was so blasted hot in their you cannot believe it. You break into a huge sweat immediately.


This part got so tight both sides of my skinny frame rubbed. I had to army crawl through it cause it got shorter too. I have no idea how half the people made it through.


An actual kitchen they used. Was so hot in there.


Another tunnel entrance.


All types of American bomb casings. Many didn't go off and the Vietnamese learned how to open them and use them as bombs.





And we are out! What an awesome tour!


On my back to the hotel and then to the airport. Sad to be leaving.






Im sure going to miss the craziness of Vietnam. The traffic and streets are so much fun to watch.


At least enjoying a Vietnamese banana. They all are this size.


So long Vietnam! What an experience it was. And I will be coming back for sure!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment