I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My first time to Europe - Athens Greece

I flew out of Dubai early and my stomach was doing great. Thank goodness for rice and Japanese food yesterday :)
I was flying through Qatar but our plane got in late so we were delayed an hour. Many if not all on our flight missed the connecting flights onward in Qatar. So I sat and hung out in the Qatar airport for 5 hours.


Map of the world man made islands.


Check out what was on!! Waddup Jefe, I was thinking of all the good times!



The beautiful oasis of Qatar.





The airport I came to dislike very much.





This cracked me up. A prayer room where it says please do not sleep. See anyone praying?


Finally off! Qatar Air has done something I hope ALL airlines begin to do. Freaking genius!


Ok, finally arrive in Athens! Yay!









I took the subway for about an hour into the city to check into my hotel. Just like that I was out of the Arab world. In only 3 days I will go back in.





First impression of Greece and Athens, what a beautiful country as far as landscape and location. Second impression, why is there graffiti all over the place!?!?





On the note of the subways in Athens, they are crazy. There are no gates, you buy your ticket and scan it yourself to validate it but no gates and no security. That is trust! The subways also take off sooooo fast! Even the locals would lose their balance a lot which was funny.

I had dinner and ate some pork and French fries. They love there French fries, they are served with everything. surprising to me.

My first impression of Greek people is that they are cool. They are funny and know how to have a good time. I love looking at those people who you can tell have that perfect Greek look. They do seem a little cold though. One girl turned and stared right at me, I smiled and she looked me up and down with a crusty and looked away. Brat. But I know Greek people at home and see how fun and loving they are with family and friends. On the note of love, I also learned real fast the Greeks are an affectionate and passionate group for the romance. They are all over each other. Made me want a woman of my own!

I think riding the subway is the best way to get a feel for the people without actually interacting with them. You learn a lot by watching and listening!


I went into one of the most common areas of Athens to check stuff out. I don't recall the name. Greek spelling and letters confuse me big time. It's right by the Acropolis though.


Bam! There is the Acropolis!


This is what I love about Athens! You are in a huge city and then out of nowhere you are looking at a historical site from hundreds and hundreds of years ago.





I'm in Greece at a very interesting time. The country is in dire straights economically and they don't really have a government in place right now. I spent a lot of time in my hotel room watching worldwide news. The main story was Greece's leaders making last ditch efforts to agree on austerity and government. It was a little bizarre to be in Athens. I saw no protests of any kind or anything besides the news. But it was fun to be here at this time and experience the news before my eyes hearing locals talk about it and seeing it on the news. Lots of uncertainty if Greece leaves the Euro zone.

Nighty night! Excited to see the Acropolis and sites tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment