I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Vietnam Villages!

Along with the river cruise on the Mekong Delta we got to stop and visit two villages and a small town/city called Vinh Long.

The first was on an island known as Caibe.

First place they took us was this place to show us how they make certain things in Vietnam. Way way cool!

They showed us how they make Vietnam coconut candy and pop rice. Like pop corn but with rice instead of corn.


First shots here are the line to make pop rice. Put rice in this huge wok and stir WAY fast. The black stuff is sand. Helps heat the rice to pop.


Separate sand and pop rice in that basket hanging. See those bags of pop rice? I tried with no sugar, nothing.


Then they mix with sugar. It's a two man job.



Flatten cut and eat. Comes in a rectangle piece. SO TASTY!! Sent some home to the fam to try.


Coconut candy which was good too. Even if you don't like coconut. Tasted like caramel.

Mixing the coconut milk and other stuff.


It hardens and then they stretch t out and cut it.


She is making rice paper. Mix tapioca, coconut milk and rice noodles and cook for 30 seconds. They wrap the candy in rice paper and then wrap in paper. You eat the candy and rice paper. All day this is their job. They mix this stuff with lots of different things to make candy assortments. Also sent some of this home to the fam.


Snakes for sale :)


There was also a big gift shop. Got some cool stuff. Again I cannot describe how difficult it is or these people to make a living. I got some cool straw flip flops here!

Other things you could try was rice wine, very popular on the island he said.

We stopped and had some lunch at the second village. This family of about 10 from Canada were on my tour and they were so nice to me! They had me eat with them and talked with me a lot during the day. One guy about my age loved me because I hunt and like guns. This family was so cool.

We had rice, soup, stir fry and this fish :) elephant fish is what they call it.


After lunch they said we could go on a bike ride through the village. I can say this has without a doubt been the highlight of my entire trip! And I'm saying that a week later after Thailand and all my other stops. I hope I can help you capture why.

To the bike trail!


It was so green and lush!


Chickens





Wow! This is a pond!





They use whatever they can for there homes.


Backyard.


Before we knew it we started seeing nicer looking homes and families. Most everyone waved and would say hello. The kids were the cutest. They would run out of the homes and in the yard and wave and yell "Hello! Hello!" in perfect sounding English.





This little girl was so stinking cute! Every rider she gave an enthusiastic wave and hello.


I loved these two and this family! So friendly.











My Canadian friend gave these two some candy, I had nothing to give so I gave them money. They were so funny! Ran and gave it to their mom and their mom laughed so hard at them and said it is their's to keep. But they would not keep it do she finally took the money.

These homes were not as bad. Just open air without doors for the most part. Beds all together on one floor.


As I load these I just cannot help but feel so much love for these amazing people. They live such a poor and humble life yet this is normal for them and they are so happy. I think the industrious nature of the people helps them to be so happy and positive. I could never describe my feelings riding the bike through this village and stopping to say hello to all the children and people. Some of the friendliest people.

As the Canadian mom said so fittingly, "this is one of those life experiences that will always stay with you." I couldn't agree more. I feel so much love and respect fr these people.


Here we're some guys playing a game. It was intense, I could tell they were competitive.



I don't even know the name of this village. But it is apart of Kim Tours.

Wow what an experience!
After the village we went to Vinh Long and walked through this market. I have come to love the market scene in Asia. Great way to experience the culture.






Snakes and turtles for sale. For sale to eat!. One woman on my tour was pretty fired about about the turtles because all turtles are protected now. But I guess not here.


Then we came across this. These birds are alive.there legs are tied together and they are awaiting to be purchased and killed. I'm no activist but it was a little sad seeing all these birds tied up for sale. The fact they were alive is what made it a little weird. But it was kind of cool to see too lol.



All the different parts of the chickens for sale.



Crab!


These are green oranges!



And then we were off to head back!
Sharing the roads here I see...






Cool bridge thing.





Within seconds it went from no rain to a down pour.


And that wraps up my amazing day on The Mekong!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment