I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Sunday, May 13, 2012

My date in Vietnam.

So the day before at the Ben Than market I met this really cute Vietnamese girl named Thuy. I asked her out lol. After the Mekong Delta I got home at 6:45. Thuy told me to meet at her shop at 7 and we can MAYBE get ice cream. After a quick taxi ride I pulled up at 6:55 and saw the market closed.



After walking around the outside I realized it was closed to get in and seeing her outside would be like finding a needle in a haystack. There was one thing to do, yep, I snuck past the guards into the market building and headed for Thuy's store. Most stores were empty with no one there so I started to think maybe she would not be around and this was a method of standing a dude up. So I walk to her row and no one is there on the entire row, just a dark hallway. Right when I am about 50 feet away from her store she closes the makeshift door and her friend and her see me. She was shocked lol. I was a little uncomfortable too, but since when did that stop me haha! She started laughing surprised that I showed up and feeling a bit shy I think. I said hello and asked if she still felt like some ice cream. She said she was too tired cause she started at 6:30am. That's a long day, especially working in a burning hot market in Vietnam.

I said ok and told her to have a good night and it was good to see here again. I walked the opposite way of her and her friend and realized I could not get out this way. When I turned around they were laughing at me cause I looked like an idiot lol. They walked me out and she said, "ok, let's get ice cream. I will show you a good place. But know my English is very very bad." there you have it. Look like an idiot and the ladies change their mind. No method to the madness of their thinking. No offense ladies, much love yo.

So we are off to get ice cream. This girl is tiny and has quite the sex appeal. I hope my mom is not reading this lol. She was looking good ok!? Welcome to my blog, where all things are revealed ;)

We arrived at the ice cream place and it looked really nice! Ho Chi Minh actually has some really nice malls and stores. It is nice.

It started off as many dates do, slowly. She said she was just so shy because she is embarrassed by her English. It was rough at first I won't lie. It takes some time to learn to understand each other. By the end of the night we were good to go.

We ordered the small assortment and picked 14 flavors. We both picked 7. It was delicious. And yes that is fondue and watermellon and sliced apples.



It was cool to have a local to ask many questions. I bet I asked her 100 questions. These conversations with locals of other places are the best! Their whole life and world has been and is completely different! She is 25 years old. All Asians look way younger than they actually are. And they LOVE when you guess how old they are, and they LOVE when you guess younger than they are. They all value looking young and having good and light skin. Thuy has never left Vietnam. Most people will never afford to leave. Only rich people. I asked her what her dreams were and she said she did not have any. Mainly because it is so difficult to save money and to get ahead so they simply cannot afford to dream because it almost just exceeds their realm of possible. This made me so sad. Yet they are happy and content people.

Thuy and I definitely had some chemistry, lots of flirting. She dug me... You should not be surprised by this as i am a very charming and handsome man :) At the end of our long sit down and talk she said I am very different than Vietnam boys and men. She said she feels safe and comfortable with me and was only reluctant because of her English. She told me Vietnam men are lazy and many women support the families and the men do nothing. She also said when a woman has her baby and cannot have sex most all the men go find other women during this time and it creates a lot of anger and bitterness. So sad. She said she just stopped trying to find a guy because this one boyfriend just treated her like crap and she literally took care of him in almost every way. Very enlightening conversation. And a very fun one! She is an amazing woman!



After ice cream and probably a 2 hour chat she said lets go get some dinner. I was starving! She said she had to get her scooter first. Had another nice long chat walking to the scooter. So much fun!

When we got to the scooter it was like it all hit me. I have seen thousands of these things and she is now asking me to get on one. Felt dangerous. She was confused as to why I was a little nervous. I manned up and told her I'm not ready to die so to not kill me but let's do this thing!!



They all have to wear helmets by law. But as you can see the helmets look like hats. She was really nervous we would get ticketed because I didn't have one. Luckily I did have a hat so I was not too nervous.

I cannot tell you the thrill of riding this scooter and joining the crazy traffic of scooters haha. Everyone stared at me the whole night because I'm with this attractive Vietnamese girl but now on the scooter everyone is staring and looking perplexed. So funny! Wow what a ride it was! They drive really close to each other and almost bump each other all the time. So it was quite intense. The stares continually made us laugh. Her English by now had improved a ton and I knew how to speak so she could understand.







After a close call of someone almost hitting us she pulled over and said that really scared her. A few more minutes of riding and we hit a place on the street to eat.

Here was dinner. This is a staple Vietnamese dish eaten daily pretty much. Rice noodle soup with vegetables in it. Steamed rice is the other staple food eaten daily. This looked bad but was tasty!


Dinner and a quick chat was great, and we were off cause it was 11:15pm. Wow, what a long time we have been together but it feels short. Honestly, one of the best dates of my life. Such a humble and beautiful girl. I can tell she has a HUGE heart! I was sad to say goodbye for sure. After an awkward hug I gave her a kiss on the cheek, what a romantic I am. Asian people do not relate to the hugging very well. It's like it's too familiar so that is why it was awkward. They really don't hug back because they aren't sure what's going on. She gave me her email and bam, she darted off into the night. What a great night.

I was sad to think that tomorrow she will go to work in the market. And the next day and next day and on and on and on. She seems better than that but they do not have the options Americans have. Dear Americans, think twice before you complain, the whole world lives a much lower quality of life it seems. Especially the people of Vietnam.

What a great night! I was stoked I made such a good connection with someone in this way. Vietnam is the coolest!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment