I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Friday, May 11, 2012

Good Morning Vietnam!

Only one other place I have visited warranted immediate writing of the blog, Hiroshima, Japan. I now include Vietnam in that class. I seriously love Vietnam!

I was actually a little nervous to get to Vietnam. I have heard the food is spicy and that I should plan on having some stomach problems. I have also heard it can be a little dangerous. All this couldn't be further from the truth. At least for my 3 days experience.

I was so excited to check into my 4 star hotel! Hostels are a thing of the past for a while now. The anticipation of experiencing American history first hand and on location in Vietnam also had me amped to land.

Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam, here I come. FYI - most people call it Saigon because before 1975 that was the name so I will refer to it as Saigon moving forward.

Getting excited in the Kuala Lumpur airport.


Lol!


Very creative.


Vietnam!


Saigon!


The currency in Vietnam was so funny to me. I was excited to get a few million dong in my hand haha. That should have made you laugh cause that is hilarious.





Easily the craziest airport I have seen. I asked my friend Paul Winterowd to call my hotel and get a taxi set up to pick me up. People everywhere with signs but none with my name on it, thanks Paul...


So I got my own taxi and just like that I am in Saigon traffic. Nothing can prepare you for this and quite honestly it is one of the most interesting things to witness. 8-10 million people in Saigon, 5-6 million motor bikes. Yep.



More pics to come on the traffic. But no pictures of videos could ever do it justice.


My 4 star hotel for $35 a night! One reason why Vietnam is so great, so cheap. What a nice place.


I was treated like royalty here. I loved the guys with cool hats who always open the door for you and carry everything for you.


After check in I learned the war remnants museum was closed because it was a holiday. Sad at first but look at the bright side, it is a huge holiday in Vietnam! The falling of Saigon, their independence day. I had no idea.

So I was told to go check out the Ben Than Market. I had no idea what that was, but I was off.

Pictures along the way.





Some kind of monument.





The scooters are everywhere!


The center of Saigon. Right outside Ben Than market. After a few minutes I caught an opening of no cars and scooters. This is a way busy intersection.





The Ben Than market. Not a lot of pictures because it was one of the most fun and entertaining experiences of my life. The shopping is crazy! Brand new North Face back pack, $8. Name brand hand bags, $10. Clothing, $5-$10. Everything you can imagine for screaming deals. Of course it's fake in case you were wondering.



Shops everywhere. I ended up being here for 4-5 hours. It was hot and crazy but such a fun experience!

This is the most intense shopping I have ever experienced because the second they see you look at something they come to your side and begin the process. They also call out to you non stop.

I learned so fast if you show any interest you better be ready for a dog fight if you don't buy lol. Now i have experienced shopping in Mexico, the Caribbean and now China so i know persistence and pushiness, this market is another level up. What they do is the girls grab your arm and hold you there. Some will not leg go. The first time it happened it was really uncomfortable because I've never had this happen. But you get used to it. They say the usual things like since you are my friend I make you discount. They hand you the calculator and won't take it back lol. They say how much do you want the item for? A few times I just started laughing my head off hysterically because I didn't want the item and this woman is holding my arm saying how much and continually lowering the price and will not take the calculator back. I was giggling! I was laughing so hard and then me laughing got me laughing even harder. If you hold out long enough they go for the final attempt. "please! I have bad luck today and not many people buy from me. It's low tourist season." the guilt trip. Honestly though, you cannot help but feel bad for these people because they work every single day from 7-7 and make anywhere from $225-$250 USD in a month on average. A MONTH!! They don't have enough high paying jobs. I reached a point fast where I felt so sad and wanted to buy everything to help these people. These conditions are horrible. Within 30 minutes I stopped negotiating because I just can't do it any more. I realize it is only cents and dollars difference. In fact I started tipping people i buy from. My heart really goes out for these people.

After being here for 5 hours I can tell you I learned more about the problems of our world than any book could teach me. I had an awakening of how great America is. I became frustrated people in America are so negative and do not see how other people live.

It was so much fun to interact with these people! Most have never and will never leave Vietnam. Most will never go to college and can only barely get by. They have it so difficult you cannot even imagine. Many children go to school only to work in a place like this their entire life.

I enjoyed this place so much I think because my heart was full and I had a lot of fun with the people. They have a great sense of humor. Most are really easy for me to connect with. Just rows and rows and rows of this...


I bought a lot of stuff from these 3. I hung out with them for a while. The mom wants me to marry her daughter lol. The girl next to me asked me out for dinner and Karaoke later that night haha.


Lots of food too.


Fruit and vegetable market too.


This cracked me up.





I walked outside and just sat and watched the traffic for a while and marveled that they actually have some kind of order to the madness. Way different feel than China. Traffic has a similar look but different feel.

After 10 minutes this beautiful little girl approached me with her mom selling a box of just stuff. I seriously almost cried seeing this little girl walking the streets with her mother as her mother tries to make a living. I looked at all there stuff and bought the coolest set of finger nail clippers with a little golfer on it.


Look at her! This is my favorite picture of my whole trip!



At the market I bought my family a bunch of gifts. There was this gorgeous Vietnamese girl working in one of the stores. I asked her if she would go get dinner with me tomorrow night lol. She was extremely reluctant which i could understand. She was reluctant because her English was not so good. At first she said she will probably be busy. When I came back to get a bracelet for my Mom, we talked more. She could barely speak English haha. She said she could maybe do ice cream tomorrow. She said she stops working at 7pm and to stop by and see tomorrow. A date in Vietnam potentially, how exciting!

After a lot of shopping and interaction I decide I want to go back and get a massage at my hotel.

I only had 50,000 Dong left. About $2.50 USD. These guys on the streets hound you to let them give you a ride. One guy was relentless. I told him I had only 50,000 Dong and showed him my empty wallet. He said his price was 250,000. I told him I understood but had no more money. About 5 minutes later he said he would do it for that. This thing was a bicycle with a big chair on the front. I felt so bad but he insisted. He cycled me for 10-15 minutes for $2.50. We were right in the traffic so it was quite intense and fun haha.









I bought many things but the purchase of the day was this Armani wallet. I have had the same wallet for 15 years. It's been tough to imagine letting go. I spent 2 hours in the market looking at wallets. This was my favorite. I got 2 for good measure. The other one is a Gucci. All the wallets are the exact same types with just different name brands printed on it lol.

It's the end of an era...



After getting back to the hotel I decided before I get my massage I was ready for a shave in haircut. The hotel directed me to the hair cut areas of town. This was interesting. Girls dressed like hookers all wearing the same colored skimpy dresses like uniforms wanting you to get a massage with a haircut. I found a good deal on a shave and haircut, $4.50. This is 90,000 Dong.

I was thrilled to get a professional shave. I felt like a mobster and that I was going to get whacked! Forget about it. I say Forget About It! (Italian accent used for full effect).







Did Vietnamese man holding a knife to my neck make me nervous? Forgetaboutit...


Gosh this was cool! He did an incredible job. Tipped him lots of dong lol.


The taxi ride home feeling clean shaven. Taxi is a few bucks in Saigon.



I love the traffic and feel of this place.


Upon return I ate some Vietnamese stir fry which was delicious.

I then proceeded to spa where I did the relaxation package. Full body massage and cool Vietnamese face stuff. This was incredible. At one point one woman was massaging my arm, one my leg and one putting some face relaxing stuff on my face. It was quite nice.

What a first day!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment