I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Jesus' last days and resurrection, a dream came true today.

This is one post where it will get pretty religious, so if that is not your thing I completely understand. For me, i don't like to get preachy or religious to others BUT this is part of my journal so I have to share my thoughts.

Ever since I started going back to church and served a mission one of my huge dreams was to come to the Holy Land and see Gethsemane and the Garden Tomb. I also thought it would be amazing to walk the steps of the savior's final days. My dream came true today and I'm humbled and have so much joy because of it.

I could never describe the effect the atonement of Jesus Christ has had on me. Just know I attribute it to turning my life around 7 years ago. So I have looked forward to this day since then. My life has changed again being here. People say that, but this is one of those times where it actually flipped a switch and something changed inside me, and I feel like a new man. Not you're average day by any means.

This day is literally in order from the accounts of Matthew and John of how Christ spent his last days and resurrection.

This day was to start with the last days of Jesus' life. We first started for the area in Jerusalem where Jesus met with his apostles to have the Passover. We went to a building where the upper room is most likely similar to the room that Jesus and the apostles used. It is not the exact location or building though. But it is extremely close to this area we know!





Our tour guide Steven went through the entire Passover ordinance with us here and shared all his Jewish insights. Steven is LDS but grew up here so he understands everything really well. It was so helpful to see the Passover. We ate unleavened bread and learned all about the Passover and how Jesus gave it new meaning the night before he was crucified.








After the Passover Jesus and his 11 apostles headed for the Mount of Olives to a garden know as Gethsemane. So we went. I would say there is nowhere I have wanted to visit in all the world for 7 years more than the Mount of Olives and specifically the Garden of Gethsemane. Not even Tahiti :) so at this point I was so quiet because I was so humbled and excited to be going here finally. Steven took us to where the sacrifice of the red heifer happened and where he believes and many believe Gethsemane was. Somewhere high on this mount. Note this is not the "traditional" site of Gethsemane. That is at the bottom of the hill below us. But many believe it was too close to the highway to be a place Jesus would go often with his apostles to pray and especially this night being a dangerous night. I believe like Steven it would have been up the hill around here as well. But we do not know for sure. Here it is!





We sat in the shade of an olive tree and read the account of Jesus taking upon himself the sins of the world, which happened right here in this area! Goodness that is heavy.



Out of the blue a bunch of kids walked up and started listening and watching us. It was weird.








More shots of the area here on the Mount of Olives.








We had a picnic here under that same olive tree.


This man who came while we were eating to sell us a few things (our guide new him) out of nowhere started yelling at the kids and started chasing them off with a stick! The kids ran but then started throwing rocks at him. Luckily none hit him. It was crazy! Of course I documented it and laughed. It was a little distracting for me though.





He chased them clear up the mountain.


What an experience being here. I had planned on coming back on my own and am glad I have that planned because I didn't have a lot of time on my own to sit and ponder and read. But it was great to have the time I had. I'll be back though in the next week and will visit the traditional site at the bottom of the hill too.

Great view of Jerusalem from here.


After Gethsemane Judas betrayed Jesus and the priests and men took him to see the High Priest Caiaphas. We drove to where many people believe Caiaphas' quarters and prison was. The place we visited dates to the 1st century and has prison areas for law breakers.

The ruins are under this church.


The view back to the Mount of Olives. This is where we just were. The Mount of Olives is right above the big tree in the front middle.





Our guide asked me to demonstrate. He showed in the ruins the place where prisoners were whipped/scourged. The archaeology proves this happened here. We do not know for sure if this was Caiaphas' location and where Jesus was brought but it sure fits everything archaeologically, traditionally and scripturally. So kind of sure :)





The pit or prison area.





He was "most likely" brought up these steps that date back to the first century.



Humbling to think this is where they brought him.


He spent the night somewhere on the mount of olives or at Caiaphas'.

They then most likely brought Jesus through this gate (Demascus Gate, it was different at the time) and then to see Pontius Pilate. The gate you see was built by Turks in 1547 but underneath it archaeologists have found the remains of a gate dating to the 1st century :)


There was a demonstration happening here by the Arab's. This is a dominant Arab area for sure. Here is where we read the account of Jesus being tried by Pilate.





After the trial with Pilate (not sure where this happened) Jesus was sentenced to death. Just a short walk from the Demascus Gate we came to where many believe Christ was crucified. This is where many many people and many many signs point to being Golgotha. I was surprised to learn that "if" this was the location of the crucifixion, it would have been done at the bottom on the ground and not on the mountain. Why? Because the old highway and city wall are 75-100 yards away and they wanted people to come see Jesus. Also crucifixions were common and they took place below this hill. So sad.


The city wall is where the old city wall was and on just this side is where the highway ran.


This is what it looked like in the mid 1800's when a German discovered this. Can you see the look of the skull in the mountain? Hence Golgatha. Or Calvaria in Latin, hence Calvary.


This is probably where Christ was crucified unjustly. It is a bus station now. I believe this is where it happened. Let me show you why.


Tradition and scripture says after hung and killed on the cross he was taken A SHORT DISTANCE to a GARDEN and laid in a tomb. Within a stones throw here is where we went.


See the tomb in the back.

John 19:41
"Now in the place he was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a sepulcher wherein a man was never laid."





This cross dating to the 5th century is on the outside of the tomb wall.


The Tomb.


Wow!


It was great because I had a minute or so on my own alone in the tomb. Quite the experience.


Written on the door.








How could I not believe this is where Jesus was crucified, buried and resurrected? I know this is the place! And how amazing it is that I am here and get to experience this.

We then sat down and read the account in John 19 and John 20 of Jesus' crucifixion, death and resurrection. Sitting in the garden and reading these verses, and having Steven explain they found a 1st century olive press here, and then Steven playing music for us; this is where it all hit me and I broke down. As I walked on my own and sat down and looked at the tomb, it all just hit me at once. The light switched inside of me. What an unforgettable experience.

I really expected to feel this way on the Mount of Olives at Gethsemane but here is where I feel the strongest. It is because this is where he overcame death and triumphed! This is where the only perfect man was crucified for every imperfect person in the world. It was so unjust. Yet he said, "Forgive them Father." I thought of my life and felt awful I ever felt picked on or complained about things. Jesus did nothing wrong and was crucified. No one has experienced that loneliness and pain like he did. But now he is risen and alive again and that is why this place is so powerful.

I sat here for about 15 minutes staring at the tomb and had one of the most powerful experiences of my entire life. Never in the world has a place or a site made me feel this way. I cannot describe the feeling. A combination of joy, sorrow, gratitude, peace and love. I recorded my thoughts and feelings in my journal. There is no way you can understand it unless you come experience and feel for yourself.

I came to see the Mount of Olives and Gethsemane, I plan to go back, but sitting here at the tomb I learned something really important, this is what matters most because this is where a man died and came back to life and promised us that same blessing! This is what it is all about. Because of this we can live again. I will see my grandparents again because of this. I know it's true and I know Jesus Christ died but arose and lives again.

Other pictures at the garden tomb.

I waited forever for this opening with no people. What a shot.

















What an unbelievable day. My dream came true! Yeah!

If you are reading this, go to the Garden Tomb and experience what i did today, it will change your life.


For the record, I believe and i believe i know for a certainty Jesus Christ lived and is our Savior and died for all of us so we can have eternal happiness with our families. I believe i know this through a spiritual conviction but also now as a historical truth. Archaeology, history, tradition, scripture and most importantly what i feel inside support the message of Christ. That message being Jesus atoned for mankind's sins and was crucified and then resurrected. All for us as a gift. What better message is there in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment