I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Kuala Lumpur

The pictures on the sleeper train website from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur made the train look nice. It was far from it. I wondered why I didn't fly cause it is so cheap. The train was like a roller coaster and shook quite a bit. In between the cars was a small metal slab and under that the screeching sound of the connection point.

Also, it hit me I am going to a place that is predominantly a Muslim country. So people around me on the train are much different than I have experienced before. Surprisingly I slept pretty well though, even though it was only 6 hours cause I was so afraid I would miss my stop. The woman in the bed across from mine was very helpful and kind.






Oh my gosh this was ghetto lol. Sometimes I'm baffled by my decisions. Always an attempt to save money but then I find myself willing to pay to get better arrangements. Oh well, I can manage for one night. Should be last sleeper train for a while.


Upon arrival I had about 30 minutes of being lost and culture shock. Every place brings a sense of this but the train station was so foreign to me, I had no idea where to go.

I finally took the subway to what I thought was my stop. My phone died last night so I had no direction. I did plan my route to my hostel before it died. Here are the streets of Kuala Lumpur near China Town. I'll be honest, I was nowhere near comfortable here. But I wasn't exactly rattled and wanting out either. In between land I guess.








This market was pretty cool.





These streets were cool. A little scary but cool.





I walked right to where my iPhone had mapped the hostel but I could find no hostel. I found everything it said it was right next to it. After an hour and very hot weather and not feeling comfortable I began to get pretty upset and frustrated. Wow I got fired up. No phone, no one can help me it seems. No hotel anywhere around. So I finally got my hostel booking sheet out and started showing the address to people. Finally someone recognized the street and did the infamous Asia point in the direction and give nothing else more. Ridiculous. I'm flat pissed now. My bag is loaded because I have all this crap from Hong Kong I never got a chance to ship. My bag was cutting off circulation to my arms. Muslims are everywhere and I'm lost in flippin China Town in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. After a few angry hours I finally find the place. I turned on the AC to my room and just sat there and talked to my dad and bro and updated my blog. This seems to help me a lot. The blog is definitely therapeutic for me and makes me feel great. Journal writing is an inspired principle.

One funny thing, my brother Garrett asked me the funniest question. "So Trav, what is their to do in Kuala Lumpur, what are your plans the rest of the day?" it made me laugh so hard cause I was thinking why the heck did I even come here! I feel like I'm going to get beheaded!

After a much needed chill session I set out first to the post office. Here is the apparel of most all working class people and people on the streets.



And then i went to the Batu Caves on the train. Below is the KL train station. Looks cool.





The train to the Batu Caves was so slow, but I finally arrived.

The Batu Caves! This was way cool!











There were tons of monkeys here. I was watching my back like I was in South Central or Compton. I was told they steal your flip flops, hats and other things sometimes. I also don't want rabies from a bite. They were cute and cool but they put me a little on edge. But they never got close to me.












This one cracked me up lol.


The caves!






YouTube Video

Really could never figure out what was going on here.







The Batu Caves are so cool!

















After the caves I wanted to head down town and check out the twin towers, the Petronas Towers. One of the biggest buildings in the world! Took a taxi to the subway. My driver was a stud. Kody Kopi was his name I think.


No driver of the subway...





That's a colorful outfit.


Bam! Petronas Towers. Nice.


Malay cuisine outside the convention center. Enjoyed the view of the park and the twin towers.








Check out the thorns on these palm trees.


Awesome tree.











Went to this mall and chilled outside. First time on my trip I just sat and thought for a good amount of time. Thought a lot about America and the world. And that love seems to be the same all over the world even though people are so blasted different. Lots of couples at the mall shopping prompted this thinking.











The mall was dang nice! I got something similar to a Jamba Juice. I won't lie, at first I was scared of KL but now I think it has some nice versatility and I'm quite impressed with it.





Loving my new flip flops I got in Hong Kong.


Morning! Headed to the airport to go to Vietnam. Malaysia is soooooo green! I think the scenery is beautiful.


Tropical trees lined the road the whole way. Had a nice talk with the cab driver and gave him my Book of Mormon. I cannot believe how people struggle to get by in the world. Everyday I thank heaven for America, my family and my life. Im very lucky and I always knew that but being abroad you learn in a new and deeper way.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment