I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Edinburgh - My personal favorite city in the world

I've heard sooooo many great things about Edinburgh, primarily from Scottish people from Edinburgh, other Scottish natives and people from all over the world. It's rare to find a place locals and outside people love. So I was excited.

The drive from St Andrews.





On the way I almost ran out of gas. I pulled off an exit in time but drove around this city for 15-20 minutes on fumes looking for petrol. Finally found one! The people in this little town speak crazy Scottish English. I need a translator lol. You really cannot understand them! It was fun to talk to people here though and they do slow down for you to help you understand.






Riding into Edinburgh in the sunset.








Edinburgh! Now how you pronounce it is Ed-in-burr-uh. This England girl told me everyone says it wrong but turns out she was wrong too. I asked many Scottish people in and outside of Edinburgh how it is pronounced so this is correct.








The amazing Edinburgh Castle.



This thing is HUGE!





Awesome!





I really don't know how to explain why Edinburgh is my favorite city in the world. I was just in awe of this place. A perfect blend of the old culture and new culture. The cathedrals, buildings, castle and everything are just amazing!

I'm sad I only have tonight here. Flying out in the morning. But I used every minute to look around.





Pretty big party scene on a Friday night.


The Edinburgh Castle is unbeatable as far as castles go.











Buildings like this everywhere!





Out of nowhere I look through a gate and see a HUGE amount of Edinburgh I have not seen. Buildings and almost like another down town area. I gotta come back here.














Some bird pooped on my car...


Driving to my guest house. About 11:00pm at night.

This is where the night got interesting.

Literally right before i got in the car I got a text message that said, "Dear Travis. There is a problem with your guest house booking tonight. Call this number immediately." ok... It also just hit me it is 11:00pm! I completely lost track of time! The sun going down so late did not help as well as me getting lost in the awesomeness of Scotland.

I don't make any calls abroad so I decided to just head to the guest house and see what's up...


Upon arrival this cute Scottish woman explains she does not have room and Hotels.com has allowed me to book even though she is full for the next 3 months. I am the 8th person this week this has happened to. She was fired up! At hotels.com. I was nervous about where I'd stay tonight. She called them from her phone and they said they would look for a new place for me. She yelled at them and the guy talked back and she said to him, "Excuse me what kind of cheek do you think you're talking to!?!? You better apologize! I'm not at fault here, you are sonny." in her cute little Scottish accent. I felt bad for her.

Here i am in this poor ladies guest house at 11:30 while she is making sure they get me a place to stay. Such a nice woman. I yelled at the guy myself for this, on her behalf!


They finally got me booked in a guest house a couple minutes from hers. This lady was a saint though. I sure do like the people here.

After an ok night sleep my alarm didn't go off and I barely made it to the airport for my flight to London then to Budapest Hungary.



What a relief I made it trough the rainy UK with only flip flops. I recommend shoes here.



Flying away from beautiful Scotland! I love it here so much. It was difficult because I loved England so much Scotland got a little too much squeezed out. But I saw a lot and I'm grateful for that, and I WILL be back to Scotland for sure! I'd say it is my favorite of England, Ireland and Wales. They are all so great though. All exceeded my expectations.

And Edinburgh is my new favorite city. Go there and I promise you'll love it! The culture, the history, the people.


Peace out Scotland! And the UK! What a great place, for sure one of my favorites stops.

PS, I love these kind of things that make no sense...



No comments:

Post a Comment