I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Friday, June 8, 2012

Maasai Land Kenya!

I was beyond excited to arrive into Kenya as a volunteer and to see parts of Africa I have always wanted to see! Our flight was a late one into Nairobi.


After a couple hours sleep we traveled to the orientation meeting. There are about 50 volunteers in Kenya. Most will be working in orphanages. A small group of us are living in Maasai Villages during our stay and teaching in schools.


Heather and I arrived with our new friend Angela from San Jose. Angela is easily one of my favorite people I've met on my trip. So sweet and a heart of gold. She just graduated from high school. I felt worried about her because her luggage never arrived :(





The IVHQ staff singing us a welcome song. Awesome!


An American woman came out here as a volunteer and has adopted this child. We started hearing about all the major major problems with Aids, Child Birth issues, Orphanages and child disabilities. I cannot even describe 1/10th of what we heard. I'm so happy volunteers come and help with these huge problems.


I played with little Niko a lot. Made me miss my nephews.








Heather and I were excited to hear we were placed in a Maasai Land area called Olmaroroi. If you dont know Maasai is one of 47 tribes in Kenya. They said our host family is amazing and that the man has 3 wives so we will be staying with Grace's family.

These two guys on the left are my favorites of the staff. James on the left and Moses in the middle. They are so funny! Kenya people have an incredible sense of humor.


Off to Ngong to drop some volunteers off and then to our area Olmaroroi. We were excited and nervous! We are about to be living with no electricity or running water in a tiny village with a Kenyan Tribe.








The town of Ngong.





This was our driver George. Many orphanage volunteers stay at his house in Ngong. This is his 1 year old daughter, it was her birthday! I got the family a cake and they were thrilled and so happy.

They live in a very humble apartment in Ngong. First impression of Kenya, everyone is so happy here despite how humble of a lifestyle they have. Everyone says, "Welcome!!"





On a long dirt, rocky and bumpy road to Olmaroroi. These roads are insane!! Olmaroroi is about 1 hour south of Nairobi in what locals call, Maasai Land!





The drive out was probably one of the most fun times of my life! James and Moses seriously had me crying and my jaw aching from laughter. James told us all about his tactics with women. Oh my goodness I laughed so hard it hurt! Moses was the gentleman saying these tricks don't work and this is why James is a poor lonely man. I have not laughed this hard in a long long time! Had to capture the moment.


Arrived pretty late and met everyone in the dark and they showed us our room. We have our own room and beds. The mosquito nets went up and we went to bed! My bed.


Heather's.





I'm in Africa!!!


Tonight we played a ton of card games with the kids. They are so energetic and friendly. We taught them Go Fish and Egyptian Ratsgrew. Had a blast!



No comments:

Post a Comment