I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Northward through England!

After I did some family history work I was off to a place called Yate!

Yate is a small town outside Bristol. The Yates name comes from the English word Geat or Gate. They used to pronounce the Geat with a silent G and Y sound. Hence Yates. The people who were gatekeepers for a job soon began being called Yates. So Yates is English. Yate is a place here potentially other Yates came from. Calling people from Yate Yates.

So I wanted to head to Yate and see what I could learn.









I found this Yate heritage center and asked about Yates coming from there. They said it is not known what people from Yate were called. They also said it was tiny for years because it is right in a forest.

So nothing learned really. Cool to see Yate England though! Websites seem to believe Yates' come from the gate keeper or people who lived near gates but that also some were from Yate.


On my way out of Yate I totally splashed this girl by accident. A huge rain puddle was in the road, I saw her and a guy and slammed in my breaks but couldn't stop fast enough and splashed the back of her legs. You should have seen we face and reaction. I laughed and laughed and laughed!


I made a long drive past Birmingham to Manchester. A long rainy drive!

The one place I had to see is the Manchester United Stadium!









They told me I was too late to take a tour to see the field. I asked where the toilet was and started to look for an opportunity to see the field. I snuck around and found nothing for about 15 minutes lol. Hiding from security and stuff.

I finally found an elevator and took it to the concourse! Do they really think I came all the way here to be denied?















Eat it security!


On my way out I asked, are you sure there is no way I can see the field? She said there is no way. I acted disappointed and laughed on my way to the car. Punks.


A cool picture from the stadium of Manchester City.


I then headed west to Liverpool which was exciting. Of course it is pouring rain.









I would say Liverpool has got to be the coolest city in England. I love the feel of it here.


I was on m way into the Beatles Museum and it said it had closed just a little while ago. Sad...





The coast!


Where all the ships took all those people to America. Where the Titanic set sail!














I soon realized that Liverpool requires a couple of days because they have some really interesting looking museums id love to check out. So I'll have to come back one day. I decided to try to find a phone charger cause I left mine in Weston-Super-Ware :( grrrr.

In the mall area this kid in a store gave me an extra one they had. So rad! I love English people. So great!



Again, I think Liverpool is awesome. Can't wait to come back and give this place the time it deserves. But for now gotta keep going. The family history put me behind more than I thought.









I took the opportunity to get a few new T Shirts too. I need more selection of shirts. Got 2 new shirts which is so exciting for me!!








I was then off to Lancaster with a brief stop and drive through Preston. This road trip rocks! Seeing so many places I've heard about my whole life! Preston England.

It's raining hard as you can see... All day... Even the locals are extremely annoyed. This is a lot even for them.








Preston had some big churches. I completely forgot to check out the temple. The rain made it tough to do any thinking.


I then headed to Lancaster to spend the night. My great great great great Grandfather Yates was born in Lancaster and sailed to America and came to Utah! I have heard from asking around and research there are tons of Yates' here and all over Lancashire. Same with Cheshire and Derbyshire. But the most in Lancashire.

I got in late and barely found a hotel. Lancaster is weird. No guest houses or B&B's.

The rain is insane here! Relentless!


So I was going to do some gravestone hunting for Yates' but the rain made it impossible. My hotel manager was named Yates and I talked to her and she said Yates' are all over so that was good enough for me. She also told me the Lancaster castle has a Yates family crest inside it and to check that out.


Morning view from my hotel. Still raining hard...


One of my new T Shirts.


It took me a while to make a run for the car in my flip flops. Oh the rain...

There's my car. Don't want to get soaking wet!


I was off to the Lancaster Castle to check out this Yates Family Crest. They told me they were having an annual meeting in thy room today and it is just awful luck but I can't see it. Dang it!


Lancaster castle.



Yates dude with the crest I couldn't see.


Church next to the castle.


Inside the church.





Lastly the Olympic torch just happened to be coming through Lancaster today. I couldn't wait for it because I wanted to get up to Scotland. But I did drive as far as I could to where it was coming from and saw the people lined up in the pouring rain waiting for it to come by. Very cool!





















An American flag! Couldn't get a good picture.








Gotta love the Olympic Spirit!






Back on the road to Scotland! Wahoo! I'm stoked.




No comments:

Post a Comment