I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Monday, June 11, 2012

The Incredible Maasai People

The weekend was quite long as there seemed to be nothing to do. So we were forced to slow waaaaaay down and embrace life in the Maasai! Who said you always have to be doing something anyway?

One thing you have to understand is although the Maasai people are probably the most welcoming and friendly people I've met they live an extremely simple life and don't have a ton to talk about. They welcome you, ask a few questions and either I keep the convo going or we just sit for a while together. I'm actually a huge fan of the people who are not TOO friendly like the people in India. "You are my friend and we will be friends forever! Ok!? We are best friends! Yes?!" India India... So I totally dig the Maasai style. I enjoy chilling or occasionally trying to break through. They will open up if you do.

I played with Lery and this feather for a while haha.


This is where I developed my favorite Maasai Land hobby of watching the goats. They are so crazy and watching them I was shocked I'd never realized how nuts they are. More to come on exact things they do.








Nayia and Tananko studying.


Night finally came and we headed to the kitchen to hang out. They speak Maasai a lot to each other in the kitchen. They laugh a lot! They seem to always be pleasant and happy. It is nice being here. Except this kitchen is not ventilated and so your eyes and throat can be dead if you get a seat by the door where the smoke exits. Here I'm on the good side sitting on my host Mom's bed. I'm sitting in the cow skin bed mat. Just look at this kitchen and think I'm sitting on the Mother's bed. Just think of how humble this little home is! One other bedroom with 3 people sleeping in a small room. Yet they are so content and happy. Nayia the 14 year old seems to do all the housework. Think about that for a minute. A 14 year old doing almost all the cooking and washing. She is amazing. I decide for sure I'm going to sponsor her in high school and ask her tomorrow.


Playing cards in the sitting room. Such a blast. They love Egyptian Ratsgrew! We laugh a lot and have a great time. From left to right, Salash, unknown, Heather, Nanu and Tananko.


Dinner is served! So far I like the food a lot. It is all cooked really well and they eat lots of rice and starches which I'm cool with. Every meal they drink tea. Tea or Chi is huge for them. So every and I mean every meal we have a thermos of hot chocolate made for us. They also serve us a lot of food. I eat mine then a lot of Heather's :)


Happiest kid ever here. I love this little Lery! And he makes me miss my nephews.


Woke up Sunday morning and finally met Joshua. Now Joshua is the king. How it works is he is the King and goes to what wife he wants, so far as I understand it. He has the huge ear gauges. He does not wear earrings though, he wraps his lower earlobe up over and around the top of his ear. Haha! When we met he shook my hand and said with such respect, "Thank you for being here and welcome to my village. All of this is mine and you are welcome to it. Where do you come from?"

While the women are milking the cows the men are waiting to take the cows, goats and sheep out to graze. It is Sunday morning so lots of boys are off school and work. Those cloaks are common Maasai clothing. These guys seem to be a combo of western clothing and Maasai clothing. I like that they adapt because pants make more sense in the field than a skirt thing. They all have a stick too. For hitting animals to get them to go wear they want. Mostly just a mild blow.

I also get the feeling no one has to be asked to do things. It's like they all know what to do. These people are very mild and laid back yet they work hard and are not lazy. They win your respect really fast. Who doesn't like happy, friendly, hard working and mild people? They also laugh all the time it seems and have a great sense of humor.


They are now spraying the cows to protect them from the bugs. I wanted to help and be one of the guys but I've never been on a ranch.


We went to church and they have a cool service. Most people in Kenya and the Maasai are Christian.

I absolutely love the songs they sing! Nayia led them all and we say right next to her. These are such good people!





Lunch! Bunch of corn and beans.



Feeling bored I asked Tananko if I could help him round up the cows :) Turned out 4 were missing so I went with him and Risa to the neighbors to see if they had seen them. The neighbor was about a 45 minute walk away.


This beetle moving this dung was amusing.


Sunday was a long day. I couldn't read books on my phone or do blog updates because I had no power to charge it and I wanted to make sure I had power to take pictures. I had no hard copy books either so I took a nap and watched the goats a lot.



Ok, about these goats... They are so active. It seems all the males want to do is mate. But they told me the females are pregnant and can't so it just makes the males crazy. They make crazy noises and blows their noses on the females. They try to mount up to but the females always get away. So funny! Also they all fight a lot. Ramming of the heads and some teaming up with others. I was entranced and completely entertained.

What a simple life this is. It is easy to see why they are so happy. The Maasai people are not constantly searching for meaning in life. They know what it is, survival and being happy. It is quite remarkable to be a fly on the wall. They milk the cows, bring the milk in, boil it, make tea or hot chocolate and drink it. The men work or work with the animals. The women make jewelry to sell for extra income and the kids are completely free to do what they want. They never get yelled at, fight or even seem unhappy. They are completely free and it seems I'm watching the most simple and content people on earth. They are incredible people.

No comments:

Post a Comment