I'm Going Around The World!

You are now officially Trippin with Trav!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Gearing up for my first African Safari!

Loved this attempt to pass cars heading back to Nairobi.


We were a little leary about heading into Nairobi. We have loved the small town feel of Olmaroroi and all we have heard is Nairobi is way dangerous.

Interesting area here, named Deliverance.





My guest house. Certainly is not the 4 seasons but it's a bed.


Oh wow!! The miracle of running water! How amazing it is. It was freezing cold so this was probably the best and worst shower of my life. I had not had a legit shower in 8 days!


Heading to the Junction to meet up for the safari. This Dan guy by Heather is a stud. From Toronto. He is living at the guesthouse for his time as a volunteer. He is going on the safari too.








In my first matatu. Like a van / bus system. They are really dangerous for pick pockets and stuff. Nairobi is so dangerous period. We learned from Dan 5 volunteers in our organization were held up at gun point 5 minutes from the Junction where we were meeting. This happened a week ago. It was late at night and they got off the main roads. We also heard a bomb went off in the Nairobi City Center a few days to a week before now. Hmm...

As a side note 3 volunteers in our organization were chased down by a guy on drugs holding a machete in Mombasa a week earlier and robbed them. One girl happened to be in both robberies so she got held up and robbed twice. When the bomb went off she had been where the bomb was 15 minutes before. This girl is in our safari group and her dad is making her come home right after the safari. Crazy! The Maasai Land was so safe, Nairobi kind of freaks me out and I have no desire being here. Get me to the Maasai Mara and back in Maasai land for the Safari!

We were also taught in Orientation that if you yell thief there is a good chance Kenyans in Nairobi will actually kill the thief. It happens a lot in the past but still happens occasionally. So they told us not to yell thief so he wont be killed. They had many stories that were awful! This place is insane!

The Matatu! Rap just blasts in these.


In our van heading to the Maasai Mara! Girl behind me is Jordana. Very cool girl.


Wanted to document Heather's flee bites. She got bit all week in Olmaroroi. Luckily my bed was clean!


Kenya has some beautiful landscapes!


The rift valley!











Just outside the Maasai Mara we saw the first African safari animal, a Zebra! So cool!!


Impala! Always one of my favorites to look at in Cabelas and now I'm staring at one in Kenya! Botta bing botta boom!


So good to be back into the safety of the Maasai Land! It was a blast for Heather and I to tell other volunteers about our experience. Sadly most people have not been too happy with their volunteer experience. We could not have asked for a better one! I think the Maasai Land was great but I think these younger volunteers need an attitude check too.

This is a PERFECTLY TIMED picture! Maasai people!!


I sure do love Kenya and the people. They all run up and wave.








Our digs for the weekend! Running water is all I cared about. And they said even a toilet sink in our hut with hot water. While others complained about these conditions Heather and I felt so grateful for power a few hours each night and morning and most importantly flowing H2O. They called it hot but it was luke warm.


I'm going on a safari! I'm going on a safari! I'm going on a safari!








No comments:

Post a Comment